Re: Automating NT Backup with archivelog on (hot)

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:46:02 -0800

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Peter Kellner wrote:

> I'd like to automate backing up an NT server running oracle 7.3.
> Right now, it is a big pain because of all the manual steps. I want
> to have one script that does an incremental with the system HOT,
> and another script that shuts the database down, does a full backup,
> then starts it again.
>
> Any ideas or places I can find such a thing. I want to make sure that
> error status are checked for things like deleting transaction logs.

Hot backups in Oracle7 are not "incremental." They are complete backups of whatever files you copy in the process of the hot backup. If you copy all the files, it is a complete backup. Therefore, there is no real reason to take a cold backup, unless you don't trust your hot backup scheme.

I don't know any Scripts for NT that are in the pulic domain, but I bet someone has one. Searching around the web might turn something up. There are many commercial products available as well. Oracle provides a backup and recovery solutution with 7.3 called Enterprise Backup Utility (EBU), which must be used with a storage manager, such as Legato or Veritas. More information on this strategy is available at Oracle's Backup Solutions Partners page:

http://www.oracle.com/st/products/features/backupsp.html

--
Jeremiah Wilton http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah Received on Thu Dec 10 1998 - 12:46:02 CST