Re: Export Import and disabling constraints

From: George H. Claborn <claborn_at_bit-net.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:53:50 GMT

Hi Starous,

        If you are importing into an existing table (IGNORE=Y), then yes... constraints are checked, triggers fire and indexes are maintained. You can disable constraints via an ALTER TABLE command prior to import then re-enable them afterwards.

If the table does not exist prior to import (as would be the case with the default IGNORE=N), then no constraint checking, trigger or index maintenance is done during load because all these items are created after the table is loaded.

Regards, George Claborn (VLDB Utilities, ORacle Corp)