Re: SHMMAX, etc., for Oracle8 on Linux: Where to change?

From: Mike Mountjoy <michael_at_london.virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:37:43 -0000

I'm not sure about linux but solaris requires a set of entries in /etc/system
but the DB will start.

        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=20000000
        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
        set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
        set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
        set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
        set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70

regrds,
mike

Marcus Ruehmann wrote in message <366EB8BA.FA642929_at_online-club.de>...
>Hi there,
>
>you donīt have to care for those values (at least with the starter database
that will be
>setup).
>
>I certainly did not change anything in my kernel and it works. But check
that you have
>glibc 2.0.6 or higher.
>
>Cheers
>Marcus
>
>David GUYON MARTIN wrote:
>
>> On dejanews, searching SHMMAX, I found this:
>> (maybe in this group)
-
>> /usr/src/linux should be linked to the kernel source used to configure
>> your system.
>>
>> Mine is symbolically linked as (BTW: I'm using the Redhat 5.1
>> distribution, the values shown here are the defaults)
>>
>> /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linux-2.0.34/
>>
>> /usr/src/linux/include/asm/shmparam.h contains:
>>
>> #define _SHM_ID_BITS 7
>> #define SHMMAX 0x2000000 /* max shared seg size (bytes)
*/
>> #define SHMMIN 1 /* really PAGE_SIZE */ /* min shared seg size (bytes)
*/
>> #define SHMMNI (1<<_SHM_ID_BITS) /* max num of segs system wide
*/
>> #define SHMSEG SHMMNI /* max shared segs per process
*/
>> Which translates as:
>> SHMMAX = 33554432
>> SHMMIN = 1
>> SHMMNI = 128
>> SHMSEG = 128
>>
>> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sem.h:
>>
>> #define SEMMNI 128 /* ? max # of semaphore identifiers */
>> #define SEMMSL 32 /* <= 512 max num of semaphores per id
*/
>> #define SEMMNS (SEMMNI*SEMMSL) /* ? max # of semaphores in system */
>> #define SEMOPM 32 /* ~ 100 max num of ops per semop call
*/