Re: Advice: Simple, fast, large # of records db server (env: mod_perl and DBI/DBD)?

From: <dhagberg_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/12/09

In article <74kmej$mpf_at_news.service.uci.edu>,   "M. Benjamin Mehling" <Ben_at_NOSPAM.gsm.uci.edu> wrote:
> - Stability.
> - Speed.
> - Abiltiy to handle 100 million records in a single table.
> - SW: Apache/mod_perl, DBI/DBD. HW: Solaris (sparc).

We have tables in Sybase System 11 with 350 million rows, approx 56 bytes/row.

It's been rock-solid stable, after we configured the 'max number of open databases' correctly. It runs 24x7x365 on Solaris (Ultra 2, 2x250MHz, 256Mb, RAID level 5).

I've used Sybperl extensively, but most of our real-time coding is in C using Sybase's native client libraries, for performance reasons.

Hope this helps,