Re: Oracle8i

From: Thomas Pall <tpall_at_bga.com>
Date: 9 Dec 98 21:33:24 GMT

There are numerous features of Oracle 8i which would make it a very attractive version to migrate to after it becomes stable. One of them, for example, is a log reader which will allow the DBA to view past transactions by user and sql and can even create the insert statements needed to undo the mistaken delete from a table last night.

Another is the increased granularity of security. Right now we have to do all sorts of machinations with views and extra tables to prevent one customer from seeing the orders of another customer.

The ability to do reorgs online is very appealing. Also appealing is that finally the DBA role can be customized, meaning some DBAs will have complete control over the database, others will have only limited control over it.

The ability to use a constant recovery database as a read only database is very appealing, as is the ability to write stored procedures, triggers in something other than pl/sql.

Jens Schauder (Jens.Schauder_at_opal-edv.com) wrote:
: Hi
: I've read some stuff about the new RDBMS Oracle8i in journals and on the
: Oracle homepage. It sounds interesting but it all seems to be advertisments
: by Oracle so there is no possible drawback mentioned (and there will be
: some).

: Has anybody some objective information or at least not the Oracle point of
: view
: or just an own oppinion what the new RDBMS is good for and when I should
: stick to
: Oracle8/7?

: Makes it only sense for internet or for standard applications as well.

: Thanks in advance for any answer.
: Jens