oracle server shared memory not removed

From: <aeh_at_akc.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:50:17 GMT

>Steven H. Meller wrote in message <36536944.0_at_stnws02.atl.mediaone.net>...
>>My principal complaint has to do with the absence of virtual memory. As
>>mentioned in my post here yesterday, I ran out of memory (stack space
>>

>Steven,
>
>Check the Shared Memory by command. ipcs -m
>
>and than if you see oracle after closing the instance remove the entry
>from shared memory by ipcrm command.

Why does this happen ?

Our DBAs are complaining that the instance does NOT always remove the segment when the database is shutdown through svrmgrl. How can we determine the shmid in a script so that we can startup the instance ? We have several instances on the box, so we can't just "ipcrm `ipcs -m | grep oracle`".

Oracle MUST save the ID somewhere...or else how would clients wanting to attach to the seg find it ?

We're running Oracle 7.3 on HP-UX 10.20.

RedHat 5.1 - because I don't LIKE to reboot.