Newbie question on Oracle 8.0.4 (?) setup

From: Bill Artemik <bartemik_at_neri.org>
Date: 9 Dec 1998 07:45:01 -0600

I installed Oracle 8 on my NT Server to test some application development tools. I just need to create a database and then, through my application, some tables.

I bought "Learn Oracle 8 n 21 days (more or less)" hoping to get some insights on the setup of Oracle.

My problem is: When I follow the installation instructions they take me to a utility to create a database (which I think I did ok) but how do I activate it? I went to some screen but it asks for username, password, instance, etc. I don't know what to put. This is the FIRST database I've created in Oracle.

What I need to know is:

How can I create a database.
How can I start it up
How do I tell it that I (as a user on a LAN) have access rights to make/drop tables?

We lost our local DBA to the competition so I'm on my own here and could REALLY use some help with this seemingly simple task.

Thanks to anyone willing to take the time to assist!

Bill Received on Wed Dec 09 1998 - 07:45:01 CST