Re: Do you still ned RAID 5 if you follow OFA?

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 20:37:14 GMT

Hi Jan,
That's ok, sometimes I don't agree with myself. ;) Yes you are right, if you are in a read intensive enviroment, then RAID 5 is fine. I never had the pleasure to work in such an enviroment (data warehouse).

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

-Satar

In article <366D363E.60D2_at_nho.hydro.com>,   Jan Fure <jan.fure_at_nho.hydro.com> wrote:
> Hi Satar.
>
> I'm not totaly agree with you on the statement "God knows you don't run
> RAID 5 for speed". This
> is right when insert/update, because of that parity which includes
> within RAID5 ( 2 disk writes for every write trans.). When it comes to
> reading ( datafiles ) RAID5 could be very good for performance, because
> the data is striped ( only datafiles for randomly acsess).
>
> Best regards

Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions
(949) 756-0588