Re: Oracle Block Size and Solaris 2.6

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 18:32:12 GMT

In article <74hmlj$qsr$1_at_nebula.mpn.com>,   sweh_at_mpn.com (Stephen Harris) wrote:
> It was from 2 different instructors teaching the O7DBA course. No, I
> will not give out their names or email addresses! That'd be impolite of
> me.

I can understand your concerns, but my experience with Instructors is...That they are more than happy to help via e-mail. Anyway...thank you.

> Well... 1) when was it dated? 2) realise that documentation _always_
> languishes behind "best practice recommendations."

  1. Feb 1995, Oracle 7 for Sun. 2) I do, that's why I was asking about your source.

> Umm, A quick search on technet.oracle.com for block_size shows
>
> Oracle8 Tuning
> Release 8.0
> A58246-01
>
> 19
> Tuning Parallel Execution
>
> DB_BLOCK_SIZE
>
> Recommended value: 8K or 16K
>
> The database block size must be set when the database is created. If
> you are creating a new database, use a large block size.
>
> Although this segment is specifically for parallel execution, I was told
> this is now generally correct.
>
> Technet is a great place to find answers :-)

Yes, thank you...I became a member today.

I was reffering to Oracle 7 and not in parallel Execution mode...but you should check out "Chapter 15: Tuning I/O" of the same documentation. It has the advantages and disadvantages of certain block sizes.

Also in "Oracle8 Release 8.0.5 for Sun SPARC Solaris 2.x Administrator's Reference" (part No. A59708-01) Copyright June 1998 on page 3-12 it states: "The optimal block size is typically the default (2k), but varies with the applications."

I too, took the Oracle 7 DBA Master's Program from Oracle Education, and never heard anyone suggest a block_size as 8k or 16k. In all actuality, it really depends on the type of Database you are creating. The reason I suggest 2k, is that I can always adjust the db_file_multiblock_read_count to meet my needs regardless of what the database's role will be. The only downfall is that I am restricted on my Group by and Order by and Select statements. Can you imagine if I set up a db_block_size of 8k or 16k for a customer who in turn, creats an OLTP database?

> --
>
> rgds
> Stephen

Thank you for your time and the web page reference.

Satar Naghshineh
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
Advanced Enterprise Solutions
(949) 756-0588