Re: Novell 5 and Oracle 8?

From: Piquet <PiquetRemoveThisToReply_at_bigpond.com>
Date: 1998/12/07

I installed Oracle on a Netware 5 server, and had all sorts of trouble getting it to link in with the NDS tree. I re-installed it on a 4.11 server, and it worked beautifully. The NDS administration of the database is fantastic. This would have to be the biggest positive. I'm trying again with Netware 5, doing a complete re-install. (Still learning. Non-production server)

The biggest negative that I have found is the lack of documentation. I can get books, information, and all sorts of other stuff about Oracle for NT or Unix, but jack all for Netware. I can't get the Intelligent Agent to communicate with the OEM console manager, and worse, can't find any documentation to help with troubleshooting this. I even asked Oracle Installation support, but was told this was outside the scope of the install?!?!?!?

Overall, it's nice. The Netware OS is far more stable than NT, easier to kick start on a cold morning, and uses the biggest strength, NDS.

Piquet.