Storing Images as LOBs

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_no.spam.iac.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:39:17 GMT

We currently store image files external to the database with a reference to the file as a row within a table.

We are seriously considering changing this to store the image files a LOBs within the database in order to eliminate the problems of keeping the file system and database synchronized.

I understand the mechanics of using LOBs, but does anyone have any pointers/gotchas I should be aware of? Our files are typically 10-60K in size which will result in about 90G in LOBs. Assuming we place these in their own tablespace, are there any foreseeable performance problems? I understand Oracle 8 has non-transactional tablespaces (we are on 7 now) to prevent the rollback overhead during inserts. Is it correct to assume that this will be necessary?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

--
Mark Wagoner
To reply, remove no.spam from my e-mail address Received on Mon Dec 07 1998 - 16:39:17 CST