Re: Using a trigger to send an e-mail

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:42:32 +0100

David Mortenson wrote in message =
<36672368.84149829_at_news.grnvle1.sc.home.com>...
> So far, I have created a trigger that uses UTL_FILE to create an
>e-mail formatted text file and have a shell script that pipes all of
>the text files through sendmail.
> This works o.k., but I would like something more robust and portable
>to NT. I am thinking of writing a Pro*C daemon to poll the database
>table directly, to avoid using UTL_FILE and adding error checking and
>e-mail status updates. Other than responsiveness (immidate action
>rather than polling), can you think of other reasons to consider
>DBMS_PIPE?

First, I prefer to place code which performs OS-related actions in few well defined locations. It helps porting apps on different platforms. UTL_FILE interacts with OS, howerver with some transparency. Next, it is better to avoid handling OS-related exceptions /privileges, disk space etc./ at the trigger level. So I prefer dbms_pipe.

--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Mon Dec 07 1998 - 09:42:32 CST