Re: Sybase vs Oracle - which is better?

From: John McVicker <mcvicker_at_sybase.com>
Date: 1998/12/06

denny_vk_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Try quering the data at the same time ?
>
> --
> Denny Koovakattu

What does that mean? Sybase has customers with thousands of users running concurrently (200+ TPS) on single-image SMP servers querying the "same data" at the "same time" and it works wonderfully.

Is your posting a jab at Sybase or are you from Oracle Marketing? (yeah, I know, readers block writers...)

I've recently helped with a benchmark of 11.9.2. Customer finds that for some tasks that ran in X time on 11.0.3, they run as fast as 10x faster on 11.9.2 due to new features there (backwards scanning is one of them).

We have customers now porting from Oracle to Sybase to gain performance without spending $Millions to do it. SQL*Net is a pig too.

Sybase just plain runs fast and is efficient and for people who know how to use it, don't require a "cluster" or "huge hardware" to support their users.

John McVicker
Sybase Professional Services
Philadelphia, PA