Re: Instance Recovery Question

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 20:09:00 GMT

Actually, until the commit is issued, the data is not written to the 'permanent' table block but is in the rollback segment block. Answer 1 is correct.

On commit, the rollback block is freed only after the table block is written. Should an instance fail between commit and rollback marked free, the block will be rewritten to the table.

We now enter the mystical and mythical territory of system buffer flushes, that is data corruption because Oracle wrote to the disk, but the system did not flush its buffers to disk. You cannot eliminate this risk (even with direct raw files), just get it to a minimum. There is no recovery, hence the magic of backups and archives.