Re: HELP! Need ammo against Oracle on NT!!

From: Daniel Clamage <dclamageNOSPAM_at_telerama.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 04:01:09 -0000

Last weeks PC Week had an article that said Oracle on UNIX runs circles around Oracle on NT. Not surprising. UNIX is the first platform Oracle is developed for, then ported everywhere else. I think Novell is among the last platforms to get new releases. Not surprising either.

--
- Dan Clamage
http://www.telerama.com/~dclamage
Richard Markle wrote in message <36682EB7.91D3805F_at_isi.edu>...
> I was asking for pointers to articles to print out and give THEM.
I've
>read the benchmarks that said given identical applications on a terabyte
size
>DB, Oracle/UNIX was able to service roughly 3X as many connections as
>Oracle/NT, I know that NT doesn't scale well for enterprise, there is the
>sheer number of layers that NT apps must go through vs. the micro-kernel
>architecture of UNIX, there is the remote administration problem, and
given
>the fact that Oracle/NT doesn't have a raw partition, it is therefore is
once
>again filtered through NT, thereby placeing more software between you and
your
>data. But these are observations, not printable articles, which is what I
>think will be most convincing.
> For the record this is for a terabyte, multi-media DB. I don't want
butt
>heads, I just was looking for some pointers to articles. If you don't want
>help, please, please, don't respond. I don't need the condescension.
Thanks