Re: Calling C libraries thru Stored procedure in Oracle 8...Help pls...!!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 01:35:30 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "PRAB ATHILAT" <pathilat_at_worldnet.att.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 5 Dec 1998 00:23:29 GMT, you wrote:

>1. This is supported in Oracle 8 only. For this I configured my
>listener.ora and tnsnames.ora with a problem. I'm using TCP protocol instead
>of IPC as given in examples.

why, why change from IPC to TCP -- the lost RPC message means the communication is messed up in some way. since the extprocs MUST be on the same machine, use IPC (tcp would only be slower). Do it the way the docs say to do it.

Your listener.ora should look like:

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST=
    (ADDRESS=
        (PROTOCOL=IPC)
        (key=extproc)

    )
    (ADDRESS=
        (PROTOCOL=TCP)
        (Host=hostname)
        (Port= 1521)

    )
  )
SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (ORACLE_HOME= /oracle/home)
      (SID_NAME = ORC1)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = extproc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/home)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
  )
STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF

and your tnsnames file should have:

extproc_connection_data=

    (description=

        (address=
            (protocol=IPC)
            (key=extproc)
        )
        (connect_data=
            (sid=extproc)
        )

    )

lets see your listener and tnsnames file -- they are typically the culprit in this case.

>2. created a shared libary in hp/ux
>ld /usr/ccs/lib/crt0.o sharetest.o -L ./ -a shared -ltest +b:
>ld -o stpexe /usr/ccs/lib/crt0.o stpsh.o -L /home/spoliske/shared -a
>shared -ltest +b:
>the shared library is confirmed to work. it can be used from c programs.
>on the oracle side.
>DROP library STPSHARE;
>create library STPSHARE as '/home/spoliske/shared/kshare.sl';

[snip]

>-----------------------------------
>Here is the error message
>-------------------------------------
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-28576: lost RPC connection to external procedure agent
>ORA-06512: at "INVOICE.OUTPUTSTRING", line 0
>ORA-06512: at line 1
>28576, 00000, "lost RPC connection to external procedure agent"
>// *Cause: A fatal error occurred in either an RPC network connection,
>// the extproc agent, or the invoked 3GL after communication had
>// been established successfully.

>// *Action: First check the 3GL code you are invoking, and make sure there
>are
>// no network problems. Most likely, the invoked "C" routine is
>// terminating abnormally.
>// If all components appear to be normal but the problem
>// persists, this could be an internal logic error in the transfer
>// code. Contact your customer support representative.
>We have no other details about configuration. .Any HELP /details on this
>would be appreciated.
>Thanks in advance
>
>regards
>Prab Athilat
>Senior Database Architect
>Newcourt Leasing and Capital
>pathilat_at_worldnet.att.net

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Dec 04 1998 - 19:35:30 CST