Re: dbstart failed

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_interfacefamily.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 16:00:30 -0500

Neil Hulin wrote:

> Also, bringing Oracle down (or any process for that matter)
> using a kill -9 is very bad practice as the kill -9 can't be
> ignored by the process and doesn't allow a graceful exit.
> kill -9 should be used as a last resort only. In the case of
> oracle always bring the database down using server manager
> (svrmgrl under UNIX) by performing a "shutdown immediate".
> --
> ...neil {actually: neil [dot] hulin [at] litech [dot]
> freeserve [dot] co [dot] uk}

Yes! Yes! try some of the other signals before the deadly -9.

I always try SIGHUP (-1) the hangup signal first. many UNIX processes take that as a shutdown signal and preform their clean up.

Other to try include:
SIGINT -2 interrupt (control-C equivalent) SIGQUIT -3 quit
SIGTERM -15 terminate signal
But don't use SIGKILL (-9) until you tried these others first. You and your programs will be much happier. Received on Fri Dec 04 1998 - 15:00:30 CST