Re: SQL Server 6.5 v Oracle 8

From: Angus Sutherland <angussutherland_at_csi.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 13:12:31 +0000

Stephen,

We use Oracle v7 & v8, Sybase 10,11 & Adaptative Server, SQL 6.0/6.5 and now looking at the Beta release of v7 (as well as DB2/400) - boy oh boy is Oracle the biggest nightmare! - Text Field sizes, memo type field restrictions, disk fragmentation (yes still there in abundance) - horrendous to backup and definately very much more work than say SQL, but then I guess SQL (well v6# anyway) is a bit more of a lightweight animal, I'm sure an Oracle buff will extol it's virtues continuously but for me delaing with a little bit of each I know which one I always hope our clients don't want..........

I have to sat though v8 is better than v7.