Re: Configuring Oracle Server 7

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 3 Dec 1998 08:21:58 GMT

Nick Lehane schrieb:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a question regarding configuration of Oracle 7 Server. I am trying
> to install it on a Windows NT Server, which succeeds. However, trying to
> access the startup database fails, with invalid SID. Is there anything
> else I need to install apart from the Server?
>
> Ultimately, I am trying to transfer a database from my current machine to
> the new server. An Oracle employee told me the best way to do this would
> be to let it create a startup database, then import into that. If anyone
> has any other suggestions / methods, I would be very grateful. Many thanks
> in advance,
>
> Nick Lehane

Hi,

think he should have told some more.
Two scenarios:

  1. The new server has the same drive-naming and fullfills the space requirements AND You don't want to change settings of your old server.

Make a full cold backup of your old db including contolfiles, archives, onlines and init<SID>.ora.

Restore them at the aquivalent locations on the new server. Use Instance Manager to create new instance with the restored init<SID>.ora-file.

AFAIR this should work. Did it a few month ago with our development server.

2. Tablespaces A.S.O. should reside on other locations.

Export old db.
Start up the instance on the new server without mounting the db. Run your db-cration script and your modified tablespace creation scripts. (Tablespaces should be named the same). Then import.

HTH
Matthias
--
Matthias.Gresz_at_Privat.Post.DE