Re: cannot start already running oracle

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 01:24:31 GMT

Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:

]Why would I get - "cannot start already running oracle" <snip>

Because there is an sgadef for your $ORACLE_SID in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs

This means:
The instance you are trying to start is already running

Your ORACLE_SID is wrong, and you thought you were starting an different database, but the one your ORACLE_SID is pointing to is already running.

Oracle crashed and left a sgadef in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs but is in fact not running. If oracle is not running (ps -ef|grep pmon), then do a shutdown abort to get rid of the old sgadef, you can then startup.

--

 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), Oracle, Internet.     (OO)

MIM Internet policy item 3.4 compliance - "I am clearly stating that any views or opinions expressed above do * NOT * necessarily represent the views or opinions of MIM." Received on Wed Dec 02 1998 - 19:24:31 CST