Re: Oracle and Solaris/Intel anyone?

From: <mgogala_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 20:23:07 GMT

In article <73uq6u$3c6$1_at_tholian.cse.psu.edu>,   groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) wrote:
> Lots of people. Solaris is over 90% source compatable between x86 and sparc.
> Oracle has had a port for Solaris x86 for since atleast Oracle V7.1. If you
> are committed to Intel-based hardware, Solaris x86 is a viable alternative
> to Windows NT.
> John
> groenveld_at_acm.org

I can confirm this. There is a very stable Oracle 8.0.5 port for Intel Solaris 2.6. You can even relink the database using gcc. I tried it and it works flawlessly. I don't know whether it is supported or not (my guess would be that it's not supported) but it certainly does work. Installation is smooth and performance is much better since we replaced resource muncher (NT4.0) with Solaris.
Mladen Gogala