jdbc thin oracle driver opening random ports

From: Boo <nospamboo_at_bga.com>
Date: 1998/12/01

I'm having problems with a java applet that uses oracle's thin jdbc driver and MS IE4.0.
It appears (my best guess) that the thin sqlnet is opening up random (but vaguely incremental) ports in the 3600- range. Here's the deal: I have to set the Netiopermission information in the .cab file to include all the ports on the oracle server which I want to access. My connect string is

DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:name/password_at_hostname:1526:si d");
So I put this in the netiopermission section of the ini file with which I signed my cab file:

IncludeConnectHosts=hostname:1526, 80

I got an error that it could not connect to port 3607 and then 3675 (no permission)so I signed it again with this access:

IncludeConnectHosts=hostname:1526,80,3600-3700

This worked. For a while. But the after accessing the same url several times I got a security violation on port 3751. And then 3777.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does anyone know how to limit the ports the thin client uses? Or at least, does anyone know the range of ports it might use?

Thanks,

Boo

(remove nospam to reply) Received on Tue Dec 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CST