Cloning R/O snapshots

From: <egiguere_at_m3isystems.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 00:26:25 GMT

Hello Oracle Experts,

I want to clone R/O snapshots in an economical way because tables are really big and I'm on a WAN. Complete refresh are not possible. I'm using Oracle 7.3.3 on HP/UX. I've got this idea:

  1. Create snapshot log
  2. Create snapshot in a stage area (locally)
  3. Export snapshot user (1Gb)
  4. Compress dump file (300Mb)
  5. FTP dump file on target servers (4)
  6. Import snapshot user
  7. ?
  8. Fast refresh of all imported snapshots
  9. Drop stage area

However, due to snapshot's signature only the first fast refresh work. After investigation, I think I may succeed if I insert (4) entries in SYS.SLOG$, update SYS.SNAP$ and SYS.MLOG$ properly at step 7).

Any advice, better idea, or description of SYS tables?

Thank you,

egiguere_at_m3isystems.com