Re: Performance tuning Oracle Context

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:26:53 GMT

On Tue, 01 Dec 1998 18:54:39 GMT, rbelanger_at_forrester.com wrote:

>Hello:
>
>We are working on a Context application that indexes about 1,000 large
>documents (15-18 pages) and about 10,000 small documents (2-3 pages).
>
>Indexing performance seems to be pretty good, but retrieval performance is
>only OK. We are using two-step queries and the average query is taking about
>10 seconds. I would like to get it down to about 2-3 seconds.

What types of queries are you performing? Single-word/phrase? Text and structured? Fuzzy? There can be performance differences due to the nature of each of these types of queries.

>The database server is a Sun Enterprise 3500 with 512 Mb of memory, with
>about a 320 Mb buffer cache, 60 Mb shared pool. We also have SORT_MEMORY
>SIZE turned up to about 8M to keep most sorts in memory. The datafiles are
>on an EMC Symmetrix and are distributed across a series of mirrored
>partitions.
>
>During searches we see a fairly high IO load on the EMC, with almost no CPU
>utilization.

The easiest way to solve this would be to turn on TIMED_STATISTICS in your database and trace the ConText session. I solved a customer's "problem" with ConText by doing exactly this...tracing the ConText session. In fact, the 2-step query was performing very fast (under 1 second), but then the resultant non-indexed join they were doing with the result table caused a full-table scan...and hence, degraded performance.

>We have tuned our engine preferences to create large tables for the Context
>index tables to prevent chaining and fragmentation.
>
>Any ideas on tuning approaches for Context would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Dec 01 1998 - 15:26:53 CST