Re: Recovery. Have you been there before???

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:37:37 GMT

On 1 Dec 1998 11:40:27 GMT, "Igor " <espiaui_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Suppose there was an earthquake and you lost your production machine today
>(Thursday).
>You have a COLD backup from last Sunday and a HOT backup
>from yesterday(Wednesday) + all the necessary archived log files.
>There is an identical(same configuration) brand new machine
>waiting for you to recover from your backups.
>
>I would like to know:
>
>1)What is the quickest way for recovery??

Go with the yesterday's hot backup, you don't need the cold backup if it is older then the hot backup. Restore all the db files, control files, init files and archived log files from the backup media, then RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE.
>2)Can I recover by using the hot backup only. If so how do I

Yes, see above.

> recreate the physical on-line redo log files as they are never part of
> an on-line backup?

After the recovery process is complete, you'll have to open the database with ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS. This will create the new online log files.

>3)When backing up the datafiles as part of the hot backup, do
> I need to include rollback segments and temp datafiles?

Yes.

>Thanks in advance
>Igor

Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Tue Dec 01 1998 - 15:37:37 CST