Re: Problem installing Oracle on Linux

From: <prochak_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: 1998/11/30

In article <73nuq5$c7i_at_newsops.execpc.com>,   Scott Petinga <petinga_at_execpc.com> wrote:

> I have just started to install the Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux and
> have run into a little problem (I am using RedHat 5.1). I setup
> the proper oracle user and group and set up the proper env
> variables in the .profile of the oralce user I setup like so:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$ORACLE_HOME/lib"
> ORACLE_BASE="/u01/app/oracle"
> TMP_DIR="/tmp"
> ORACLE_TERM="vt100"
> PATH="$PATH:/$ORACLE_HOME/bin"
> ORACLE_SID="doug"
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH ORACLE_BASE TMP_DIR ORACLE_TERM ORACLE_SID
> PATH

snip install step

> Installation complete.
> Login as root and run root.sh
>
> This is where all the problems start. I log into another term as
> root, set the env settings like it says (for both the oracle dba
> user and root just to be safe) with the .env script and then I
> try to run root.sh as root and receive the message:
>
> [root_at_localhost orainst]# ./root.sh
> Please set ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID environment variables before
> invoking this and run this as root
> /bin/chmod: oracle: No such file or directory
> /bin/chmod: oracle: No such file or directory
> [root_at_localhost orainst]#
>
> The problem that I have here is that the ORACLE_HOME and
> ORACLE_SID are set. When I echo these variables they are set:
>
> [root_at_localhost orainst]# echo $ORACLE_HOME
> /opt/oracle
> [root_at_localhost orainst]# echo $ORACLE_SID
> doug
>
> What seems to be the problem here? The one other thing here is
> that I have verified that the oratab file has been created. I was
> not able to find the oratab.sh script but I found a oratab in
> /etc. I read in the documentation that this should be in
> /var/opt/oracle. I have copied the /etc/oratab to this location
> just to make sure. Can anyone tell me what it is that I need to
> do to run root.sh and exactly what the next step is in this crasy
> install process.

regarding the environment variables, if you look at the root.sh script, you'll see that this message is always displayed! I don't remember the next step offhand, but you should be all set to do it. (I think the next step is to start the instance, run svrmgrl?)

> Thank you for your time.

you are welcome

--
Ed Prochak