Re: Hardware specs for Oracle8 on Solaris x86

From: Sal Magnone <steeldb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:27:07 -0500

Go to SPARC ... 2 pentiums are not much better than 1 because of bus and memory bandwidth issues on the PC bus.

You'll need at least 3 drives (but the more the merrier):

    1 for the system and oracle binaries     1 for the data / and redo log
    1 for the indices / and redo log mirror

Same for RAM, more is better:

    If you can try to get enough RAM to cache the entire DB. After the DB gets big, monitor your cache hit ratio.