Re: ORA-01547: failed to allocate extent size of 95 in tablespace 'SYSTEM'

From: Jesus M. Salvo Jr. <jmsalvo_at_ihug.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 21:23:00 +1100

The SYSTEM tablespace should only be used by, as the word says, the Oracle system. You data should reside on another tablespace. It stores information about your tables, indexes, etc.

Although there is nothing stopping you from just using the SYSTEM tablespace, it is not a recommended practice. Read about the Oracle Flexible Archtecture.

Now to the error message, you have to allocate additional extents to be able to do this (that is, assuming you want to only use SYSTEM tablespace). In version 7.3 (!?), you have the option to automatically allocate additional extents when needed. I think you have to do allocate this manually with earlier versions