Re: ref_cursor was (Sybase vs Oracle)?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/11/27

A copy of this was sent to Joe & Anne Buhl <jabuhl_at_worldnet.att.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 27 Nov 1998 04:48:47 GMT, you wrote:

>> >..... In Oracle all 'select' statements must put
>> >their results *into* something within the stored proc, i.e., you can not
>> >send the results of the 'select' directly back to the client ...
>>
>> False - use REF CURSORs for this excat reason. Available since 7.3.
>
>How exactly are the ref cursors implemented?

as cursors, they are IN OUT parameters to procedures or return values from funtions.

[snip]

>I have not seen any third party tools or even Oracle tools that take advantage
>of ref_cursors. for instance in dbArtisan and Sybase you can excute a proc and
>your results are there. You do that in Oracle from db artisan and ...........

Some Oracle tools:

Some Non Oracle tools:

and there are more in both catagories. Its a feature that has been part of Oracle since 7.2 -- sorry the exact tool you are using did not choose to support it. Its very each to use.
>joe

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.