Re: ref_cursor was (Sybase vs Oracle)?

From: Joe & Anne Buhl <jabuhl_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/11/27

> >..... In Oracle all 'select' statements must put
> >their results *into* something within the stored proc, i.e., you can not
> >send the results of the 'select' directly back to the client ...
>
> False - use REF CURSORs for this excat reason. Available since 7.3.

How exactly are the ref cursors implemented?

In Sybase any select statment produces a result set available to be returned to the user. Multiple selects can be stacked very simply in a single procedure and processessed by the client application, no variable declaration. They were easy to code so front in guys picked them up quick.

I was on a project that was utilizing a gui tool that was well aware of this capabilty. You could call a stored proc and in the next line of code issue a statement "build list from select". All rows where brought back to the client ap if desired. This was a very nice feature and made for a light client. We moved to oracle 7.3 and even though the REF_CURSOR may have been available all the sql selects ended up back on the client app.

I have not seen any third party tools or even Oracle tools that take advantage of ref_cursors. for instance in dbArtisan and Sybase you can excute a proc and your results are there. You do that in Oracle from db artisan and ...........

joe Received on Fri Nov 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST