Re: About defragmentation

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:25:39 -0600

Oracle does not provide this.

DB2 on OS390 just got this capability in V5.

Oracle likes to say that we can avoid reorgs by proper space management. However, we sometimes have unforseen growth which un-balances our I/O, etc. So some reorgs are inevitable.

There are several products on the market that reduce the reorg outage. In a 7X24 shop, these are still inadequate.

I have done an near-line reorg. The outage was about 1 second. I used several triggers, an X-Ref table, a unix file, and a package of several proceedures. Unfortunately, it was hand-coded for a specific table -- not very generic. Nor could it handle LONG's over 32K -- need some PRO*C or OCI for that.

Let's start a campaign to get Oracle to add generic on-line reorg.