Standby-Database on Windows-NT

From: Juergen Diet <juergen.diet_at_mch.sbs.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:56:21 +0100

Hi,
I intend to install an Oracle V8.0.4 standby-DB on Windows-NT. Has anybody done this before and would like to share some experiences? I have a few specific questions:
(1) Instead of transferring the archived log-files to the standby-
database, is it possible to use the new Oracle8-parameter "LOG_ARCHIVE_ DUPLEX_DEST" to write a copy of the archived log files directly to the standby-machine?
(2) The manual says that only archived logs can be applied to the
standby-database. Why isn't it possible to apply the current online redolog file of the master database to the standby-db in case I want to activate my standby-db and do not want to loose all transactions in the current online redolog file?

Thanks for your help,

Juergen Diet
mailto:juergen.diet_at_mch.sbs.de