Help please: ORA-27100: shared memory realm already exists (database down)

From: Joel R. DeRider <deriderj_at_concentric.net>
Date: 26 Nov 1998 22:51:58 PST

Please help me!

I was attempting to lock my SGA in memory under Windows NT 4.0 S.P 3 using the lock_sga=true parameter. During startup, I received an out of memory error. After reducing the memory requirements of the SGA I tried it again and got the following error message:

SVRMGR> startup

ORA-27100: shared memory realm already exists

OSD-41431376: Message 41431376 not found; product=RDBMS80; facility=SOSD (OS 40951668)

SVRMGR>

I shutdown my database server normally, and rebooted. After the reboot, I still receive this message. Here is the description of the error from the Oracle 8 Database Messages online manual:

ORA-27100: shared memory realm already exists

Cause: An attempt was made to either start duplicate instances, or to restart an instance that had not been properly shut down.

Action: Use a different instance name, or cleanup the failed instance's SGA.

Any idea what it means to 'cleanup the failed instance's SGA? Any other thoughts or ideas on how I can get this database up and running? Thanks for any and all help, it is appreciated.

Joel R. DeRider Received on Fri Nov 27 1998 - 00:51:58 CST