Re: Larry Ellison and million bucks!

From: Snorri Bergmann <snorri_at_strengur.is>
Date: 1998/11/26

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> I agree in principal with what you say. I do not know what
> the TPC D spec would say about use of this feature; and it
> would be good to disclose it's use.
>
> But I think it is an important and valuable feature; one
> that users can use to their advantage in real world
> situations. It is true that often people will make queries
> against a data warehouse that the people managing the data
> warehouse do not know of in advance. (which this feature may
> not help one iota.) It is also true that there are often
> reports etc that get run periodically (accounting rollups
> etc.) month and these would benefit greatly from this
> feature.

You can argue that these periodic (canned) reports will benefit greatly from this feature. However, most OLAP and report tools (example: Crystal Reports) have the facilility to run a report once, and the distribute it to the approptiate audience via Intranet. This should be much more efficient because load times (and disk space) is much affected by pre-computing everything. Also, running a report once that takes 500 Sec and distribute it to 100 people vs. running a report that takes 70 secs 100 times will absolutely hog you system less :-)

> One other point is that MS SQL server (6.5 or 7) is not
> designed to scale to large data warehouse queries regardless
> of this special Oracle feature.

I agree totally.

-Snorri.

--
Snorri Bergmann                | Mail:       snorri_at_strengur.is
Strengur Inc.  Armuli 7        |