Re: Larry Ellison and million bucks!

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_news.hex.net>
Date: 1998/11/25

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:37:05 -0500, Bucko <garrick_at_ix.DIESPAMMERS.netcom.com> wrote:
>This is just the latest example of companies violating the spirit of the TPCD
>if not the actual letter of the law.

... material elided ...

>TPC is coming out with some new specs that should take effect next
>Spring. I'm hopeful that it will take away some of the maneuvering
>room that exists. However since the vendors make up the TPC, I'm not
>hopeful.

The thing is, since no one vendor controls the council, this limits at least somewhat the ability of any given vendor to "fiddle" the standard in their favor.

I would certainly grant that the spec may become decreasingly useful at measuring any "real world" thing if spec and DBs are strongly tuned to respectively take advantage of unrealistic short-cuts...

--
Real Programmers use: "compress -d > a.out"
cbbrowne@ntlug.org- <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html>