Re: Question about index generation

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:53:50 +0100

Question 1: probably it is advisable to recreate the indexes Question 2: you should be able to execute an alter index rebuild command, you don't need to drop/recreate the primary key. It may well worth adding the unrecoverable clause, other wise everything will go through redo log also.
The temporary segment you need, the size of it is between 1.5 and 2 times the number of rows in the table times the total length of the key. You don't need to take into account the size of the table. During import every index is created right after the import of the table. Of course you can avoid this by issuing two command imp ... indexfile=<filename>
This will dump all create index statements. and
imp ... indexes=n. This will skip the index creation step during import.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA