Re: Larry Ellison and million bucks!

From: raman batra <rrbatra_at_feist.com>
Date: 1998/11/24

Yeah, but when people use Oracle 8.i for data warehousing they would be using aggregate tables and materialized views. If a big TB data warehouse takes long to load, if the response time is good, who cares ? Our end-users want big queries (4 -5 table joins) fast.

I believe, Oracle is trying to take a leaf out of Informix's book and Materialized views and pre-computed aggreggates do the same function as summary tables which are very very useful in multi-dimensional OLAP.

I am ticked about the million dollar wager just because I want to see what MS does. Of course, Oracle benchmarks were on a Sun with 64 CPU's. Even if SQL Server 7.0 could scale that high, NT wont let it. Fun to watch !!