Re: How much memory does it take for a remote connection

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:49:00 -0600

With Oracle on AIX, only a single copy of the binary code is actually in
memory.

The single copy is memory-mapped into whichever process is executing. Each process must have its own stack, PGA, etc. So, the ps command is correct for any one process, but it doesn't account for the code sharing.

AIX also uses all available memory to pre-read files. This makes it look like all memory is consumed. Don't worry unless paging activity takes off.

I am not sure about other unix's for either of these.

dbnerd wrote:

Can someone tell me just how much memory does it consume for each remote
connection to a UNIX server?  I am using IBM AIX4.1, Oracle Server
7.3.2, dedicated server process, SQL*NET 2.3.

I have  2G real memory and 2.5 G virtual memory on my UNIX box.  7
production SIDs and total 900M SGA.  Base on the ps comment in UNIX it
shows each remote connection(process) takes about 5M memory.  Am I
reading this incorrectly?  I am just not convinced that each connection
takes 5M memory.

How about PGA size for each session.  I can find the PGA size from data
dictionary for each session.  It average 150K each.   Should this be the
correct memory size count instead of using ps commend?

Thanks for your help.

Bob