Re: Datafile corruption

From: Oracle <ychin_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:18:18 -0500

I don't see the backup job can cause this problem. The worst is that the backup file is inconsistent and not useful for backup job.

If you are running in archiving mode, just using alter database to take the corrupt datafile offline and then physical delete it (Only do this if you are abolutely sure that it is corrupted and can not be repaired).

Then if all the log files since the datafile was created to the present are available,
and if your controlfile is current, then you can recover the datafile without a backup. In order to do this, you will have to use the CREATE DATAFILE clause of the ALTER DATABASE command: e.g. ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE 'oldfilename' AS 'newfilename'. This will create an empty file the same size as the missing file.
  Following this, you must perform media recovery on the empty file. During media recovery of the empty file, all archived and online redo logs must be available to be applied to the file so that it can be brought back to a transaction consistent state