Roles, packages and procedures

From: B. Hotting <bhotting_at_wxs.nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:33:43 +0100

Hi,

I found out that you can only grant execute rights to a package and not to a procedure in the package. So different roles can't execute different procedures in the same package.

eg. grant execute on pkg_sallary.raise to boss; doesn't work.

Let me describe my problem in more detail.. I have a package with stored procedures. I want to keep these procedures together in the same package because they are related. I also have some roles. let's say a 'boss' and 'employe' role.

How can i grant execute rights so the 'employe' hasn't access to the "boss's" procedures ?

  1. I could write the package twice, but that is not efficient (any change...)
  2. I could build another layer of procedures (or views if thats possible for procedures) but that will mean that on the client site, depending on who is working with the application, the software has to call a different function. Which is not nice.
  3. I could split up my packages for 'boss' and 'employe' but if after a change, when some procedure becomes available to the other roll, it will have to move to another package, wich is not what i want.

Any good suggestions ??

Bjorn Hotting Received on Tue Nov 24 1998 - 11:33:43 CST