rebuilding indexes

From: David Nguyen <david.nguyen_at_tonystone.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:35:49 -0800

Hi, I am trying to rebuild my indexes on Oracle 7.3 on NT 4. I am assuming that I won't need to drop indexes and can use the alter index rebuild command.
Questions:
1. The dba before me created the tablespace for index with initial extent of 10K and next = 10K. Now the indexes have grown to over 1G. Are there any space limitations to consider when rebuilding? 2. Can I change my initial extent to a larger size in this process?

Also, the dba created a tablespace for data with the same initial params (initial 10K and next 10K). Is there any way of changing this without exporting and recreating? The data has since grown to over 2G and I am noticing very low hit ratio and poor performance.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Dave

   -**** Posted from Supernews, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****- http://www.supernews.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet Received on Mon Nov 23 1998 - 10:35:49 CST