Re: scrollable cursors with OCI ?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:21:52 GMT

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 23:31:51 +0100, "BOVBOV" <BOVBOV_at_aol.com> wrote:

>Hello !!
>
>I know there are scrollable cursors with ODBC but
>they are slow because they cache all data on the client.
>
>Are there any scrollable cursors built in Oracle server itself?

There are scrollable cursors built into Oracle and the Oracle Call Interface, as long as you want to scroll forward. :) OCI in Oracle8 8.0 only supports the "orientiation" of OCI_FETCH_NEXT in the call OCIStmtFetch().

There are ODBC drivers that support a myriad of fetch options in the ODBC SQLFetchScroll call (SQL_FETCH_FIRST, SQL_FETCH_NEXT, SQL_FETCH_ABSOLUTE, SQL_FETCH_RELATIVE, etc.), but the way these are most often implemented is by caching all of the data of a result set (as you described).

>Thanks.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Nov 23 1998 - 06:21:52 CST