Re: Instead of triggers on Oracle Personal 8.0.4 - Oracle Sequence Example (0/1)

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 22 Nov 1998 00:04:17 GMT

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:38:23 GMT, arivlin_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>I got an error message ORA-00439( feature not enabled ) when I tried to create
>an instead of trigger on Oracle Personal 8.0.4 ( NT4.0 )
>Does anyone know if there is a way around it?

I'm not sure about this. I know tha Personal Oracle does not enable the objects option. The same may be true of "instead of triggers". In fact, it probably is true, because "instead of" triggers were invented primarily for objects views. You probably need Oracle Enterprise in order to get this feature.

>I would also appreciate any suggestion how to force a column in a table to be
>always set to sequence.nextval and prevent any kind of SQL+ intervention?

I'm attaching an example that shows how to do this. Hopefully, it'll help you out.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Sat Nov 21 1998 - 18:04:17 CST