Re: dbms_utility.analyze_schema('SYS', 'COMPUTE')

From: Tim Cuthbertson <timcuth_at_cris.com>
Date: 21 Nov 1998 09:00:55 PST

Oracle does officially state that it is PERMISSIBLE to analyze the SYS schema using the dbms_utility.analyze schema package. However, if you talk to Oracle Support about it, they will RECOMMEND that you not do it.

This is not because of any locking or other conflicts. The package is coded to avoid those problems. The reason is that the objects in the SYS schema are coded to take advantage of specific rule based execution plans. Their performance can be severely impacted by analyzing them, which causes the cost-based optimizer to change the execution plans.

Hope this helps.