Re: Creating multiple instances on a single machine

From: Tim Cuthbertson <timcuth_at_cris.com>
Date: 21 Nov 1998 08:53:28 PST

If you have access to Oracle MetaLink, there is an article on "How to create a database on UNIX". There are basically four ways to do it.

  1. Using the Oracle installer.
  2. Manually putting together the files and statements to create the database
  3. Copying the files of an existing database, restoring them to new filenames, and starting the new database with a new database name
  4. Using the crdb<SID> file from the creation of the first database and modifying it to create the new instance

This is grossly oversimplified. You need to get the details from the support article. Besides online, this article can be found on various tech support CD's that come with Oracle - you may have it and just not know it. If I were at the office, I could give you the article's document id, but I'm not.

Good luck