Re: shmat error when trying to attach sga

From: <mgogala_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: 1998/11/20

In article <72r9hp$7f0$1_at_nnrp01.iafrica.com>,   "Imel Rautenbach" <imel_at_iafrica.com> wrote:
> I get this when running sqlplus on hp-ux on Oracle 7.3.3 as a user not in
> the dba group.
>
> I presume i need to change rights for all users to access the database.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks
> Imel

You forgot to run root.sh after the installation. That means that your oracle executable doesn't have the right protection. Protection for $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle should be 6751. Your problem is that users which are not members of dba group cannot attach sga because sga has protection of 640 (display it with ipcs -m). Protection 6751 means that oracle executable is setuid and setgid and can dynamically change group to dba. To make a long story short do 2 things: a) run root.sh from $ORACLE_HOME/orainst and b) upgrade to 7.3.4.3 because it's a much better version. Good luck,
Mladen Gogala