LONG to Varchar2

From: meena vathyam <meena.vathyam_at_mci.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:53:53 GMT

Hi

Can anynone help me with this problem.

We are using Oracle version 7.3.2.
Language PL/SQl

The problem:

In Table A there is a long column , the length of which is stored in Table B in our database.

Based on this length I have to substr the LONG column into 2000 chunks of Varchar2 into Table C.Since Oracle provides for implicit conversion of LONG to varchar2, I am using the substr function. It seems to work. But for the length of LONG field , e.g 95, after conversion, the varchar2 length is 96.

Is there a reason for this , some sort of null termination ?

Is there a better approach to this conversion.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Meena

e-mail: meena.vathyam_at_mci.com Received on Fri Nov 20 1998 - 12:53:53 CST