Re: Granting Insert privilege to specified column

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:31:34 GMT

How can you insert into only one field if the record containing that field cannot be created by the inserter - what else will that record contain( what values for the other fields and how do those get created ) ?---you can, using views, limit update to one field but insert implies a new record being created with the attendant need for some data for the other fields ( unless you have default values set for those, or some form of post insert trigger to populate them )

It seems that the user who inserts must have INSERT privilege for the table( or view ) .

Altho, now that I mull it over, you could create a stored procedure to do the actual table( or view ) insert, and pass the user's input to the procedure---this way the procedure would be doing the 'real' insert and you could avoid the need to grant the user the privilege.

Hope it helps....

Rajesh Bhave <rajeshb_at_india.hp.com> wrote:

>Hello
>
>When is it required to grant INSERT privilege on specified column of
>table or view. Please give example. (I think INSERT privilege should be
>available to be granted to full table rather than on specific column)
>
>Rajesh

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Fri Nov 20 1998 - 10:31:34 CST