Re: schema oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:35:11 +0100

I will explain how in the past I worked with two different setups, to expand it seems only necessary to add more users. Here's what we did: The production schema was available through ops$ accounts. Reasons for this:
Anyone who already broke the security of the server would also be able to break the security of the database as we had numerous batch jobs possibly requiring a hardcoded password without using ops$ accounts. We didn't want that. The ops$ users accessed the database with their own PRIVATE synonyms though PUBLIC probably would have been an option. The second, the development schema, was accessible through 'normal' database users, so with password. Again a set of private synonyms pointing to the development schema.
The only bad thing about this was keeping the create synonym script in sync with the actual schema. Of course we developed an utility for finding out which tables didn't have a synonym. So here's the scoop: any user can have their own set of private synonyms, you only need multiple developer accounts. I have seen other situations where they created distinct databases for the same purpose. I'm not sure this is really necessary, given the disadvantages (of course at least one instance is being started and only consuming resources)
If you want to reply by e-mail, let's switch to Dutch.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA