Re: Best Way To Reorg?

From: <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/11/19

cjwood_at_interaccess.com (Christopher J. Wood) wrote:

> I've been using Platinum's TSReorg to do my Oracle database
> reorganization.

> A colleague mentioned that 8.0x now has this functionality
> built-in--meaning no more need for TSReorg!

> Any comments?

No, that's not true. The Oracle Enterprise Manager "Performance Pack" does have a tablespace defragmenter, which is essentially export / drop / recreate / import, but the Oracle Intelligent Agent is uses to run the jobs is buggy.

In 8.1 (or "8i") the kernel will automatically coalesce contiguous free extents into larger extents (in 7.x and 8.0 you could only do this via [a] manually doing an "alter tablespace XXX coalesce" or [b] setting the default pctincrease of the tablespace to a non-zero value). But that's not the same thing as defragmenting the used data extents.

Chris